In Louisiana we got the official word on Monday that we will be under a stay home order until May 15th. This means that once again we will be celebrating a holiday at home. Over the last few months we have seen parents take on new roles as educators, coaches and more. They are doing all of the jobs and Mother’s Day and Father’s Day would be a nice time to recognize that.
Should we celebrate mothers everyday? Sure. Is it nice to pick one day to celebrate them? Absolutely! Mothers are amazing and recognizing them for all that they do is important.
I am working to provide as many local resources as I can to support my community during this time. I realize all my followers are not from the same area though so I made sure that each of the following items were available for purchase online.
Justin is always great about Mother’s Day. I love that he always thinks of a gift and card but the small things he does are the ones that mean the most to me. If you are looking for simple ways to
- Breakfast in bed
- Extra morning time to sleep or take a bath or lounge around
- Homemade cards
- Help with household tasks
- Afternoon nap
- Taking the kids out of the house for an hour
The list of ideas you could come up with to support your spouse while not spending any money is endless.
Over the last few weeks so many small retailers have worked tirelessly to get their businesses online. Many are offering free delivery or curbside pick up. This guide is a selection of items from some of my favorite small retailers.
- The Flower Girl – Handcrafted Floral Design
- Mimosa Handcrafted – Petite Pelican Cuff Bracelet
- Stella Dallas – Lack of Colors Rancher Hat
- Swoon NOLA – Succulent Bath Bomb
- Niche Modern Home – Alabaster Glass Bowl
- BURU – White Beaded Headband
- Golden Lily – Nude Sunnies
- The Villa Mandeville – Virtue Double Wicker Disc Earrings
- Kismet Cosmetics – Perky Spray
- Paisley Boutique – Palm Avenue Clutch
- Chaleureux – Tassle Throw Blanket
- The Villa Mandeville – Kathleen Barclay Tank in Lavender
- Endless Summer – Self Tanning Mousse // Tanning Mit
- Stella Dallas – Flower Child Tee
- Dreve – Beach Tote with Floppy Hat
- Golden Lily – Butterfly Earrings
- Charleston Candle Company – Sweet Tea Candle
- Paisley Boutique – Isle Dress
- BURU – Crochet Knit Skirt in Ivory
- Kay-la Handbags
- About Face – Mother’s Day Gift Basket
- Bra Genie – Fantasie Swim Palm Valley Kaftan
- JBS Hair – Cut and Color Gift Card
- Elektra Cosmetics – Brilliant Blush Lip Kit
- Fleurty Girl – Red Crawfish Door Hanger
- Sparkle City – Sequin Gameday Shirts
- Hazel Lane – Stripe Midi Drop Dress
- Virtue Jewelry – Turquoise Box Loop Necklace
- Ashley Seivert Beauty – Velvet Air Brushes Set
- The Bra Genie – Miracle Suit
- Fleurty Girl – Yellow Cottage Pillow
- About Face – Glo Essentials Kit
- Hazel Lane – Ivory Flowy V-Neck Top
- Ashley Seivert Beauty – Perfume
There aren’t any gifts coming home from school this year for Mother’s Day and if you aren’t a project person that could seem like a lot of work. These are three easy projects that you can complete in an afternoon.
We have two traditions in our family for Mother’s Day. My mom and I go to the Windsor Court for High Tea on Saturday and on Sunday we go to brunch as a family. This year the restaurants won’t be open for table service but many of them will still be offering take out.
The English Tea Room in Covington has been doing tea service to go if you are looking for something fancy. Hambone has been offering their weekly brunch menu to go on weekends. Nan’s Cafe has their full menu and is also doing specials for holidays. In Covington, Ox Lot is doing daily take out and even giving us some of our old SMOKE favorites from their menu. LOLA, also in downtown Covington, is doing daily specials that they are updating on their Facebook page. If you are looking for something a little more casual both locations of STICKS have been doing family meals and weekend specials like their meat pies and wings. Snacx is also creating beautiful boards for your family.
If you aren’t local to the Northshore or if you are looking to make your own brunch these are some great resources.
No Mother’s Day brunch would be complete without a mimosa or other brunch cocktail. I got Haley Hernandez from The Perfect Pour to give me two simple and delicious cocktails for Mother’s Day.
The FRESHEST Bloody Mary you’ll ever make!!
This is a big-batch recipe that will serve 12 and is to be made a day or two in advance! It allows the flavors to really merge together! For a smaller batch, reduce each ingredient by half!
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 cups tomato juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 to 3 lemons)
- 3 tablespoons horseradish
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot sauce, plus more for individual serving
- Freshly ground pepper
- Olives, Spicy Beans/Asparagus, Pickled Okra, Pickled Pearl Onions, Bacon, lemon & lime slices or whatever you’d like for garnish! (optional)
- Vodka, chilled
Pulse celery in a food processor until finely chopped. Add 2 cups tomato juice and puree until smooth. Transfer to a pitcher and stir in remaining 4 cups tomato juice, lemon juice, horseradish, Worcestershire, celery salt, hot sauce, and pepper. Cover and refrigerate at least 12 hours and up to 2 days.
Stir Bloody Mary mix well just before serving. Serve over ice as is, or with vodka (1.5-2oz per serving), hot sauce, pepper, and garnishes. Enjoy!
This is a twist on the classic Bellini! Instead of peach, you’ll be using purée strawberry!
This purée can also be made in advance!
- 6 pints fresh strawberries
Wash, de-stem and freeze strawberries. (Pre purchased frozen strawberries work just as well!). Add to blender and puree until smooth. Fill a champagne flute 1/4 of the way with fruit purée. Top with cold Prosecco!
Check out The Perfect Pour on Instagram here.