If you have never attended a Mardi Gras Ball you really are missing out. They are exciting and fun and a true experience to see. We have been to several over the years and they never disappoint from the entertainment to the fashion.
Mardi Gras balls are a different type of event to dress for. There are usually rules depending on the Krewe so you always need to ask when attending it there is anything you can’t wear. They can also be varied in time, duration and formalness. I always want to look glitzy and fabulous when attending but try to keep the cost down on the dress I am buying.
It shouldn’t surprise anyone that I am probably not going to wear the same dress two years in a row to a ball so if I can find something affordable it’s a win for me. When attending a formal last year I tried my hand at buying a dress from Amazon. I wasn’t successful with the first dress I received but the second one fit like a glove and worked perfectly for the event I was attending. With a few tips and a little time you can find the perfect dress for your event online.
What should you do before you start shopping…
- Take you measurements. Basics will be bust, hips, natural waist (2 inches above belly button) and waist at your belly button. You may also want to measure your shoulders if you are looking to purchase something with a high neck or sleeves.
- Have an idea of what you are looking for and what works for your body. There are millions of dresses available online. It is very easy to get overwhelmed or off track.
- Check to see if there are any restrictions or dress code for the ball you are attending. They may have details on your tickets on online about length of dress, neckline, hem style or if you will need gloves. All of these are important because many balls will not let you enter if you are not dressed according to their standards.
- Take account of what accessories, shoes, bags and so on you already own.
- Think about what your date may be wearing.
How to shop online…
- Start looking early. This is definitely not the time to wait until the last minute. You are going to need time to return and possibly order something new or have the dress tailored so make sure that you give yourself enough time to do all of this.
- When in doubt buy two. If your budget allows and you are on the fence about sizing buy more than one. This will help if you are in a time crunch too.
- Look for retailers reviews. It’s always a good idea to see what other people are saying. Read the good and the bad. Sometimes buyers will let you know how the sizing is. Did the dress run big or small? Was it easy to steam? All of these things can usually be answered in the reviews.
- Be knowledgeable about the retailer you are shopping with. Not all things are manufactured and sold in the US so because of this know that European sizing can run small and Chinese sizes run even smaller. Keep this in mind if the retailer is saying that their Large fits a 8/10. Check for measurements rather than numbered sizing and when it doubt it may be a good idea to size up.
- Don’t pass up the option to rent. There are several great rental sites online that take all the pressure off having to buy something for an event. They do all the work for you too from shipping to the returns and many of the sites allow you to rent more than one size.
- Absolutely check the return policy. Make sure you know if the retailer offers free returns, if not how much it will cost you to return it, what is the timeline for being able to return items and if it’s on sale be sure it’s not a final sale item.
What are some of my favorite online dress retailers…
Dress // Earrings // This fur is a piece Big Daddy bought me years ago, here is something similar real and faux.
Don’t miss out on next week’s post which will recap my Prima Donnas Ball. Hail Prima Donnas! Happy Mardi Gras!
Leave a Reply