Every year when September rolls around I think of Steve Martin in Father of the Bride. “This house is warm in the winter, cool in the summer and look spectacular with Christmas lights. It’s a great house. I never want to move.”
I feel the same way with my house. I love it. I loved it from the moment we laid eyes on it and even more the day my friend Danielle called to tell me there was a for sale sign in the yard. This house is cute, and the orange stands out and the view of the pond from our living room sold us. I never want to move.
This house also looks spectacular with Christmas lights, but this house is truly in its glory in the fall.
I have decorated this house for many seasons and it’s always fun but the way it looks in the fall always gets me. Our house is a French colonial style with columns and French doors, but the unique part is they finished the front porch in stucco and painted it burnt orange. My house sticks out and I love it.
The Halloween Trick or Treating is epic in our neighborhood. We used to do the whole yard up for Halloween but now that we are out trick or treating with the kids we decorate for fall on the porch and leave it that way until we decorate for Christmas.
I was surfing through Pinterest looking for some new fall ideas and came across picture as my inspiration piece.
So, in full disclosure, if I had to do all of the things on my porch it would have cost me more than $100. I found several things in my house that I used outside like the lanterns, wagon and rug. The rest I did purchase, and my total came out right at $108. Not too bad for a person who can blow through a budget like a kid through a birthday cake.
- Pumpkins: I purchased the pumpkins at a few different places. Two of them were left over from last year. All of the white pumpkins were from Michael’s and the small orange I found at the Dollar General.
- Hay: I found small bails at Michaels and Hobby Lobby. They are usually cheaper at the feed and seed, but I grabbed these with a 50% off coupon.
- Buffalo Check Ribbon: This was one of the harder items to find and stay on budget. I found several online but they were all $30 or more for a roll. I was trying to stay on budget so I found smaller rolls in the Christmas department at Hobby Lobby for $3.99 and half off.
- Wreath: I made this for less than $18. There is a metal ring base that was $3. The leaves are two $9.99 garlands that were 50% off. The ribbon was off of the roll I bought, and the small pumpkins were $1.47 and 50% off. I would have made it fuller but again, I was on a budget.
- Mums: Every single year I buy mums and they die. I don’t care if I water them every day or every other day or never they just die. This year I wanted to buy some fake ones but again too expensive for my budget. I went to the Dollar General again and grabbed as many mums as I could find, and they also had these cute terra cotta pots. I glued the mums into the bottom of the pots and there you go!
- Topiary: The topiary was one of my more expensive projects. I had the pots and the small orange pumpkins. The bas inside the pot is an amazon box cut in half and then padded with grocery bags. I secured the first pumpkin to the base and then cut a hole in the bottom of the other two and placed them on top of one another. I glued it all with hot glue and a little E6000 for staying power. Peyton bought me the polka dot washi tape for the base pumpkins. I finished off the top with a little black ribbon I had left from Prima Donnas last year!
- Lanterns: These are from my fireplace. I love them so much and thought they would be the perfect finishing touch to the porch. The candles are on battery timers and start at 6 and end at 10pm.
- Wagon: I bought this wagon on Craigslist for Peyton’s first birthday. I think I paid $15 for it. The wagon is one of the best things I have ever purchased. We use it for everything and it has become a signature piece in my porch displays. If you ever see one of them available at a garage sale just grab it.
Now I want to see what you are doing for fall and do a little GIVEAWAY! See I told you to read to the bottom. Inside or outside, you pick. Send me your pictures by email, Instagram or Facebook. I’m going to pick my favorite and there will be a little bonus in it for you.
I am also going to pick a second winner randomly and these are my criteria…
- One entry for a picture of your fall decor
- Two entries if you are in the picture and holding something pumpkin
- Three entries if you set a budget and stay within it
This is going to be fun!
Happy Fall Y’all…